Just over a year ago I created this little entity called The Social C-Suite.
My idea? To help business leaders understand the potential of social media. It was as simple as that.
Why? There were two main reasons:
- I saw people being appointed to positions in companies who didn’t have any social media or digital skills (and should have). Who appointed them? The C-Suite mostly. The effect? Analogue employees in digital positions.
- I realized that change must come from the top. Social employees and social companies need a social C-Suite
As I have a full-time job, I went about creating The Social C-Suite in my spare time. It started with a LinkedIn group and Twitter account. Then I added a Google+ community and a Facebook page. I invited people to join and connect. I blogged. Finally I created a website. It’s still in its infancy and, with me not being great at web design, it’s progressing as fast as I can learn!
Where do I go from here? I’m not sure. I can’t give up my day job as “I’ve got bills I’ve got to pay,” but I believe in The Social C-Suite concept and want to make it succeed. I want to create something of real value to as many people as possible — something that will change mindsets and attitudes and help leaders, their employees and their organizations thrive in the social age.
So I need help. I may need a business partner — someone as committed and aligned to the end-goal as I am. Heck, I may even need funding at some stage.
But for now, let’s just start with my manifesto:
- To show organizational leaders the power of social media for their own development and for the development of their employees and their organizations
- To transform The Social C-Suite website into the most valuable resource in the world for executives wanting to learn about social media
- To offer access to the world’s leading thinkers and practitioners in the field of social leadership
- To provide bespoke, exclusive events where leaders can learn from and connect with social media experts and social executives
- To offer exclusive, high quality, relevant content on a regular basis
- To create a global community for leaders and social experts to interact and help each other
- To be the best damn thing for leaders since Blackberries were invented
If you like the sound of this, get in touch — let me know what you think. I want to bounce my ideas off as many people as possible. I’m also serious about this project, so I need to find someone to help make it a reality. Are you that person? If you are, speak to me.